Now Hiring: Systems Administrator
May 22, 2017
Project A is a Southern Oregon software development company that develops custom solutions for clients worldwide. We are small. We work hard.
We are looking for a nice Systems Administrator that loves to create solutions for clients, handles stress well, can put out the occasional fire and is fun to be around.
We are looking for a person that doesn't mind learning and developing new technologies. We are looking for a balanced person, someone that will come to work every day and be self directed.
We are looking for someone that understands some after-hours work will be required for regular maintenance and the occasional unplanned outage, but that you will receive compensatory time off in exchange.
If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply.
As a key member of Project A, Inc., this position is co-responsible for aspects of network and systems administration including servers, desktop systems, communications hardware/software, and related office systems. Responsible for the technical design, planning, implementation, and performance tuning and recovery for network services. Redesign and reconfiguration of operating systems and system applications as needed. Analyzes system requirements and develops system specifications. Identifies methods and solutions in order to provide a high level of service.
This position reports to the Senior Systems Administrator, CEO and/or VP of Services and works closely with all development staff.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Helps manage the day-to-day systems operations. Monitors system performance, network configuration, and maintenance. Ensures high availability and performance of computer resources.
- Responds promptly to customers when they raise support issues though our email, ticketing, or phone systems. Tracks issues using our ticket tracking system and resolves issues to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Supports VMWare, Windows and Linux operating systems, software and services.
- Provides network support related to 3rd party software.
- Develop custom scripts or applications for quicker administration and automation.
- Manages Windows and Linux users accounts.
- Maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use and abuse.
- Management of the host computer operating systems, disk arrays, backup libraries and related systems.
- Network administration (including backup, VLANs, security management, internet access, office systems and applications support).
- Helps manage essential data center equipment such as air-conditioning system, power distribution, and UPS.
- Troubleshoot issues and discover causes and contributing factors.
- On-call support and availability for emergency situations. We are flexible, and you should be, too. Off-hours are ok, and sometimes required.
- Ability and flexibility to work remote part of the time.
- Honesty, Trustworthiness and Integrity in all tasks for Project A and our clients.
- Stay current with technological developments in systems administration.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Education and Experience:
Associate's degree in Computer Science or related discipline. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement. Two years work experience in complex systems design, programming and systems software and support. Windows and Linux education is desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Windows and Linux servers and Windows desktops.
- Demonstrated knowledge of IIS and Apache servers.
- Demonstrated knowledge debugging ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, or Java applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL servers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the TCP/IP or OSI models.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the DNS system.
- Demonstrated knowledge of how SSL certificates function and the renewal process of them.
- Demonstrated knowledge of setting up remote access (VPN) for users.
- Demonstrated ability to administer a 50+ node network including firewalls and switches.
- Demonstrated ability to support networked printers and related equipment.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of current communications devices and protocols, server and desktop technologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of scripting languages such as Python, Bash, or Powershell.
- Ability to diagnose application issues by reviewing multiple logs and monitoring systems.
- Ability to negotiate hardware/software service and technical support contracts with vendors.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, activities and tasks simultaneously.
- Facilitation and change management skills.
- Highly developed verbal and written communications.
- Ability to plan, organize and document complex system designs.
- Effectively communicate technical and complex information both verbally and in writing.
- Perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively.
- Experience with Puppet, Ansible or other configuration management frameworks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of using 802.11n/ac in long range applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Apache Tomcat or Apache Solr.
- Experience supporting e-commerce platforms.
If you're interested, send your resume in Word, Email or PDF format to email@example.com.